Guanajuato experiencing automotive boom
This slow change in vocation has provided for investment received in Guanajuato for close to US$1.8 billion in three years, only in the automotive industry: US$665 million were invested in GM plant’s expansion; US$740 million invested by Michelin and US$500 million of the US$3 billion announced by Ford in May.
This adds to the US$230 million Geely will invest to assemble their models, and the State is still competing for the investment of a plant Toyota is planning to install in Mexico.
Guanajuato’s Minister of Economic Development pointed-out that even if the smell of leather still fills the streets in Leon, undoubtedly GM’s arrival 12 years ago, its expansions and the recent investment announcements made, have already made of automotive sector the main activity in the Region.
- The Tecma Group of Companies’ entities gain certification for Mexican VAT tax exemption
- Alfa will invest US$700 million in Altamira electric plant in 2015
- Eosol Energy will increase investments
- Mexico manufactures 85% of pieces for the aerospace sector
- Rassini grows capacity by 40% at their Puebla plant